You Need More Vitamin D
While trying to lose weight, it makes things much easier if your body is healthy. Unfortunately, most people today do not get the nutrients they really need, and one of these is Vitamin D.
Vitamin D Benefits
Vitamin D is the only vitamin naturally produced by our body. When sunlight hits the skin, a reaction occurs which outputs Vitamin D. What does it do for us? Here are the benefits:
- Stronger Bones - it is necessary for the absorption of calcium.
- Enhances the immune system. This is why the flu season is always during winter, when people are less exposed to the sun.
- Helps regulate blood pressure, preventing hypertension.
- Plays a significant role on insulin secretion, helping prevent the onset of diabetes and help current diabetics live more comfortably.
- Promotes healthy cell death and differentiation. Unhealthy or old cells need to be disposed of to make room for new cells, and Vitamin D helps with this. This in turn lowers risk of uncontrolled growth that leads to cancer.
Recommended Dose is Not Enough
Just to give you a quick perspective on how much you are NOT getting. If you take the bogus “daily recommendation” of 400 IU, it’s only enough to absorb enough calcium to prevent rickets and osteoporosis. You don’t even begin to touch the other benefits! And to get enough from fortified milk, you would need to drink 40 glasses!
Adults over 18 years old need at least 1000 IU per day to even begin to maximize the true effects.
Aim to be in direct sunlight for 10-15 minutes per day, and this will give you much of what you need. In winter months or rainy days where this isn’t possible, you need to have good, quality supplements on hand.